About Andromeda

I am currently developing a one-woman show about Andromeda (the character and the constellation), Vera Rubin, dark matter, and me. It will contain original material, some bits of clowning (perhaps) and a couple of puppets. This is a blog about my process as I use performance as a research practice.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Work In Progress

Hello Pittsburgh!  And blogosphere!

Last night I shared a little bit of 'In the Still of the Night:  Andromeda's Dark Stuff' at the University of Pittsburgh's Women's Studies Program 40th Anniversary Celebration.http://www.wstudies.pitt.edu/events/womens-studies-program-40th-anniversary-celebration It was wonderful to perform in the company of other fabulous poets and performers!

This work-in-progress sharing was a great way for me to get the text of Vera/Andromeda up and in front of an audience.  It gave me an opportunity to start to try to put my money where my mouth is in terms of playing with some of the tools introduced in the Pierre Byland workshop this summer.  The blog entries that follow are an attempt at this synthesis.

For this performance, the text that had a lot of ideas for running around, pushing chalkboards all over the place, whooshing sugar shakers, and new constellations emerging on the stage floor, was distilled into props on a table and a fancy new bucket communication system.  It looked something like this:

Rehearsal at home

Of course, it was more exciting with me animating stuff, I hope.

SO.  The 45 pages of a play that I had before going to the Byland workshop is new getting chopped, literally, into tiny pieces as it transforms to text for a performance score as I continue to develop the piece.  That process looks something like this:

Cut and paste

It was nice to get a first ten minutes moving in front of an audience.  I am looking forward to the next steps!


No comments:

Post a Comment